Dr Alexander Henderson

1779 – 1863

Alexander Henderson graduated from Marischal College in 1798 with a degree in medicine. He owned the estate of Caskieben near Dyce, Aberdeenshire but is best remembered for the remarkable collection of Greek vases that he bequeathed, alongside a Canaletto Capriccio with Roman ruins and a bishop’s tomb, to the University in his will. In fact, he donated many significant objects to the University’s collection.

Henderson practised as medic in Edinburgh in the 1800s, before moving to London, where he mixed in cultural and artistic circles and knew many famous artists, such as Turner. He travelled widely and purchased the works of his offering.

Biography prepared from the nomination made to the University of Aberdeen 525 Alumni project.